How’s that for a great start to a story?
Inside, I found my husband’s old button-up shirt that he has had since high school. Since I’m a total sewing novice and don’t want to spend money on fabric just to completely botch it, I texted him and was excited to find he’d ripped the sleeve and did intend to throw it away! I texted back “don’t throw clothes away without asking… I might want to sew with them!” and got to work. (Don’t worry: the shirt was the only thing in the trashcan!)
Instead of a pattern, I used a dress that fits her well as my guide. I traced the dress onto the shirt, adding a couple extra inches around all sides to allow for the seams and for room to grow. I made sure to keep the bottom of his shirt as the bottom of the dress to save myself some sewing.
I used the existing buttons from the front of his shirt as the back of her dress and then sewed a strip of fabric along the chest for a little extra flair. To reassemble the shirt as a dress, I simply sewed up both lengths (with right sides facing and then turned it right side out), finished the top of the dress, and added straps.
For the straps, I just cut the cuffs off the shirt and sewed them on as shoulder straps, using the existing button holes to attach them to buttons that I sewed on the front of the dress.
Super easy! I finished the entire project in one day and… Voila! Just like that, I have sewn my first independent project.
I’m linking up to: I Heart Naptime.